Monday, November 14, 2011

Review - Forgotten

Title: Forgotten
Author: Cat Patrick
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 288 (Hardcover)
Rating: 3



Description: Goodreads
Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future. 

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.

My Review:
Forgotten can easily be described as a one sitting book. If I’d been given the time on the day that I started this book, I would have easily been able to finish this book in one day. forgotten has a very interesting and fresh idea and plot to it. The fact that London wakes up every single morning not remembering a thing from most of her past or the day before but instead can see flashforwards is a very interesting and amazing idea. We've all heard of books with characters that lose their memory, but this book is taking that idea to all new heights, and that is one reason why I liked this book. I loved reading when London was having flashforwards, hearing about how her classmates and friends were going to end up in the future. 

Patrick's characters were also a plus to me in this book. I warmed up to London very easily while reading this book, constantly feeling like London was in many ways like me; relating to a lot of things in her character. Luke was also an easy person to like. His and London's relationship was just so pure hearted and sweet, making some of their scenes fun to read. For some reason though I started to feel myself getting annoyed with Luke near the end of the book. It was only a couple of chapters but for some reason I feel like his character changed. By the last couple chapters he was back to normal, but it was still a small section that had me glaring at the pages. 

While the plot line for this book was a very interesting one and one that had my glued to the book, I still had a lot of down falls with this book. One of the things that annoyed me the most was that for a large portion in the beginning it felt like the book was going in random directions. Though I knew what the main idea was, I found myself trudging through the beginning wondering countless times when things were going to pick up. When things did start to pick up, I did get back into the grove of reading it but of course other things came up that sort of bothered me once again. The other big thing that really bothered me was last section of the book. To me it seemed like too much was pushed into the end of the book. There were so many BIG things happening, and what made it worse was that some of the events came off to me as corny. 

It wasn't the best book I've ever read but Cat Patrick still did a good job with her debut novel. Even though the plot and characters weren't enough to make up for the two big flaws I had with it, I still enjoyed reading it and don't regret it, even if it isn't a book I would recommend without a second thought. 



No comments:

Post a Comment