Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review - The Hunger Games

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Pages: 374 (Paperback)
Rating: 5 !!!



Description: Goodreads
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love. 



My Review:
How on earth could I possibly put all of my thoughts for this book into one simple review?? hmmm .. (: 

First off, I'll just state that this book is AMAZING! Anybody who hasn't read it should surely go read it as soon as possible! Of course I'd heard of this book many times before, my friend nagging me now for the longest time to read the book, but of course my lack of motivation getting in the way. Really the one thing that got me to read it was because of the trailer for the movie. And truthfully, once I started this book...I couldn't put it down. 

Every single character in this book I fell in love with. Katniss is just an amazing main character, and I loved loved loved reading about her. Her personality was great, and her will to just fight through out the entire book for her life was beautiful to read about. Peeta, though very different from Katniss, also brought out strong feelings from me. How he felt about the Capital, and his struggle as well. Collins really does just execute flawless characters, in how they would act in a world like the one set in The Hunger Games. 

The writing in this book to me was perfect. I feel that sometimes authors don't do too well of a job with first person, sometimes rambling about stuff, or not really getting information in very well. But Collins I think did a great job while focusing the point of view through Katniss. Always making sure to add things in as well as explain things to make the book much more enjoyable. 

The whole setting to the book was very unique in my eyes. How District 12 was so utterly different from the Capital and how in the Capital everything is just so...strange. How people are dressed, how they walk, the technology they have. It was all very fascinating to read about, and definitely a strong plus to the book. 

All in all, the Hunger Games was worth the read %100 of the way. It'll really just be one of those books for me that I can read multiple times. 5 stars for Suzanne Collins!



No comments:

Post a Comment