Thursday, November 24, 2011

Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Pages: 420 (Hardcover)
Rating: 5 !!!






Description: Goodreads
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. 

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low. 

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. 

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out. 

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?




My Review:

There is no way my review is going to be able to give this book the justice that it deserves. It has literally exceeded my ability to write about it in all ways. So how about I make it clear right here and right now that you need to read this book; this really is one of the best books of the year by a long shot!

Daughter of Smoke and Bone and is a beautifully written book about a truly forbidden love, of a completely different world, and an entirely new look on the beliefs of magic and its ability. In it Laini Taylor has really brought forth a masterpiece of all concepts that left me sitting here, stunned grasping to try and find the right words for this review. 

This book has recently been getting quite a bit of hype, something that I now understand why. But the thing was that I wasn't entirely sure I understood the book when I'd first read about it. I'd picked up the fact that it was paranormal and had some sort of romance to it, but it wasn't until I'd picked it up and read it for a while that I finally started to see and understand it better. The book has amazing stories, in it, filled with great support and outstanding point of view in my opinion. Third person really worked out well for this book; and in a sense it reminded me of a type of ancient story that you would hear about. The plot was very strong and to me didn't seem weak at all, and really once the book hit its climax it never went back down. It just got more and more intense with the stories and the flashbacks and....and....akd;gfaij;dkj! I'm just so utterly happy and thankful for this book!

The characters now were also very strong to me. Karou and Akiva were just wonderful. Karou with her strong and wild yet mysterious personality felt fulfilling through every single page. I love learning about her past and personality a lot. Akiva...oh boy...ahaha, of course when you picture an Angel you think of perfect, and that's exactly what I did with Akiva. I literally just fell in love with his dark and scary character (always having loved bad boys ;D ) so I easily found myself falling for him, and then even harder when it got into his past. I think that anybody who reads this would have a hard time not loving these two. Besides these two main characters there were also quite a few other's that were a big part of the story and were easy to like. Besides the bad guys in the book who you're quite pron do head butts with, I loved everybody in the book.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was one hundred percent fulfilling. Having to wait for the second book to come out is going to be absolutely grueling!!



No comments:

Post a Comment